Thursday, March 31, 2011

Day 3: Today I choose happy

This morning I decided to choose happy...

I could read the newspaper any day lately and see something depressing about education. I could be unhappy about the fact that there will probably not be ballot initiative on a June ballot to extend tax increases that would help ease the impact of the fiscal crisis on our schools. Or perhaps I could be upset by the fact that Florida's assembly just passed a law that makes value added (see yesterday's entry) account for fifty percent of teacher evaluations. I am not going to worry about these problems today because today I choose happy.

Sometimes I need to remind myself that happy is a choice.  I read from the book Sideways Stories From Wayside School to my students today.  In the chapter we read the character D.J. is asked why he is always smiling and he says, "'You need a reason to be sad. You don't need a reason to be happy'''(pg. 66). While some may argue losing a job is a reason to be sad, in the grand scheme of things it just really isn't that important. 

I have been so blessed this year. I had the opportunity to teach at a fantastic school with incredibly intelligent, hard working, and dedicated colleagues.  I learned more this year at Park Western than any other time in my career. I have been forever changed as an educator and a person, and if my time here is really over than I will always value the short time I had.  Few teachers have been so lucky.

More importantly than that, I have an amazing family and friends. They never cease to amaze me with their love, compassion, and fortitude.  I am in awe of them. I have an incredible husband.  He is the light of my life and the thought of him alone makes me smile.  Then, there is my amazing little boy. His grand entrance into our lives last June was the greatest blessing I could ever receive.  If I achieve nothing else in my life, I will still feel complete because my incredible little boy has changed my life forever.  He is the center our universe and rules our hearts.

So today I choose happy.  That doesn't mean that I give up on trying to draw attention to the injustices and problems that face our educational system and will ultimately hinder our children. However, today I just wanted to remind myself to keep some perspective and be thankful every moment for the bountiful blessings in my life.  Today a pink slip just doesn't seem that important. Today I choose happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment